Sunday, August 29, 2010

Stuff I Want

Many of you have asked, and many of you haven't, but I know you've been dying to know what kind of things you can send me in the Gambia.

This will probably change as I know more about my actual job and what my school needs. So most of these are personal, selfish requests.

CD mixes of new hits
DVDs of important sporting events/new movies I would love
Sports illustrated or news publications
Gum that won't melt
Spices (cinnamon, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper)
School supplies (markers, pens, colored pencils, pencils, colored paper)
Clif Bars, other filling granola bars
Raw almonds or other nuts (not peanuts or cashews, they're everywhere)
Batteries (AA)
Dried sauce packets
Gatorade powder
Candy of any kind (that won't melt)
Funny or sports teams t shirts
Seeds (for food or flowers)
Photos and letters
books I'd read
anything else i love

Thanks in advance!

2 comments:

  1. We've got the Sports Illustrated covered! - One box a month, 4 issues per box - should help you get your Sports from the Home Country fix!
    Newsweek, too, to keep up with current issues.
    How was the Mandinka test?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reposting this comment under the more appropriate "Stuff I Want" posting. This comment is being sent at about 3:40 PM, Central USA time, Sept. 7, 2010. My earlier comment was originally sent on Sept. 2, placed under one of your older posts (I'm lurching my way toward understanding how to use this thing.)
    You are an excellent writer, Abby. No doubt reading all those books in your "younger" years has nourished your descriptive prowess. I appreciate the details you present. I especially enjoyed your earlier description of the incessant vigilance required when eating around those pesky monkeys. Myself, I probably would have clobbered a few of 'em (no doubt receiving several painful bites and an agonizing death from rabies in return - infernal primates!) And I enjoyed your more recent account of the roof top vista of the approaching storm and the ensuing rainbow and also of the your challenges in trying to get some, eh, personal privacy. And, knowing n-o-t-h-i-n-g about Islam and its rites, rules, and rituals, I appreciate your educating me on the direct and tangible ways Islam affects the daily lives of believers. (What a bummer not being able to get a drink of water between sunrise and sunset during Ramadan! I admit it - it strikes me as totally irrational. Well, at least Frisbee playing is not prohibited, praise Allah.) Please continue to write about the religion-in-daily-life stuff and other examples of cultural differences, such as avoiding "high-fiving" black children who are terrified of white persons (I found that quite amusing). Regarding your list of things you want/need, I'll look it over again and try to send you some of those items. At this point I'm leaning toward some raw almonds and AA batteries (I am not kidding). I have no idea about what kind of books you like (clue me in, if you wish) and forget about music (I'm stuck in the rock 'n roll of the 50s (gasp!),60s' and 70s and classical stuff). Keep up the good work, try to take care of your health, and most excellent journal writing. Hasta luego. Uncle Tom
    September 2, 2010 10:34 PM

    P.S. Abby, On 9/3/2010, I mailed a package of stuff to your stated P.O. Box. Per USPS, it should reach there within 6-10 business days. I hope you receive it - someday (nothing in it is perishable [excepting the baby goat - just kidding). If you do receive it, let me know that, OK? By the way, with about a month left in the season, the Chicago White Sox still have a chance - 3 1/2 games back of Minnesota. The Cubs have had a lousy year and are virtually mathematically eliminated - about 20 games back.

    ReplyDelete